Project KTM 640 Adventure PART 1

18 July 2015
While searching for a mid-weight ADV motorcycle I came to the conclusion that the KTM brand had the power, reliability, craftsmanship and after-market following that I was looking for. I found three up near Sacramento and two in southern Calif that had my attention. Then, my friend Jim mentioned a website called Ride Must Go On.  Tolga Basol is riding around the world finding the longest route (IMO) and documenting his adventure. During an import hassle with his KTM 1190, he purchased a used 640 Adventure to poke about the american southwest until his 1190 was available.
I liked the thought that it would be benefit a fellow motorcyclist.  To help assist Tolga offset his expenses I purchased his used 640. It was sitting in a garage in Irvine while Tolga was navigating the gap between North America and South America in the Guatemalan jungle.   What had happened was a friend of Tolga's was riding the 640, following a group of riders near Death Valley, and had the front end wash out on them. I can only surmise that the speed was fairly quick due to the fairing and bracket damage on the bike. The rider did take an ambulance ride out and was cleared OK later on.

Here is a pic of the bike as Tolga got it:

here are some pics as I have it in my garage:
you can see the forks and bars do not line up.




Ignition switch needs replacing.


Brake master cylinder and bar clamp need replacing.


Throttle cables need replacing.


#1 bonus item.

Desert tank is scratched badly but does not leak. I call that "adding character".

KTM Bash plate. Bonus item #2.

You know its been a hard impact when you wash out the front end and the rear wheel gets gravel embedded into it.



more to follow.


Comments